Monday, April 19, 2010

New neighborhood tidbit (3 of 3): Walking home from the bar.

Last Sunday night a friend from high school happened to be in town for a concert for one night - she met her brother spur-of-the-moment - and so after meeting them for drinks after the concert got out - the venue was like a 10min. walk from My Haven of Peace and Light - I walked home...

And, as I was crossing the street, out of the corner of my eye I see a middle-aged (black) woman walking towards me with her arms folded under her breasts, and she has on this black spandex and white tennis shoes, but she's topless.

I walk past without looking, and as I pass her - she was coming up on my left - I see some police officers out on the right out of the corner of my eye, and I hear her saying, "I apologize officers, but I can explain everything..."

As I walk faster, there's another (black) woman a few feet ahead of me, and as I go by her, she turns to me and she's like, "I'm sure she can," and as she says this, I can smell liquor on her breath, and then she elaborates on how she's in her building, and the guy at the frontdesk should have warned her before she came out, because she ran into that woman, who had been going in and out of the building topless all night.

"Man, she doesn't seem wrapped tight, but what can you do but feel sorry for someone like that, who has mental problems," I was like.

"Yeah," the woman was like, "She crazy, or on drugs," and then after a pause, "Or both."

After we chit-chatted a bit more, I said goodbye - I walk fast, and this woman was strolling - and introduced myself.

"I'm Sharita," the woman said, and smiled and waved after me and was like "Have a nice night" as I left.

No comments: