Wednesday, September 9, 2009

2 things I've learned...

2 things I've learned this past year that I really don't like are -

1) Open mike-style guitar-and-someone-singing music.

I never thought about it, but I started to avoid it when a friend invited me to his performance.

2) Open air music festivals on temporary stages.

The sound systems suck, there's usually too many people, and then there's the whole consumerist atmosphere of the larger festival (shit to buy that no one needs, food on disposable plates, etc. - which, though, I already knew that I hated). The other night I was going to go see George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars play at a local festival where there was $15 admission day-of, but I was at a bbq further north and my bike pedal had broken off and my friend who I was going to go with decided not to go since a friend of hers she hadn't seen in a while was coming through town briefly and randomly and they were going to go grab dinner, and I decided to stay at the bbq and not go by myself, and that made me realize that if the same band was playing only in a different place, I would be there in a heartbeat, and the difference was the place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite musicians!!