Friday, March 20, 2009

Mammy / My Mother.

Walking into school today I passed two older white guys - maybe in their early 60s? - and one of them was saying, "You can't say anything nowadays, what's wrong with calling someone 'Mammy'?"

I got this e-mail from my mom today --

Hi Guy!

[...]

"Cinderella" at [your high school] last night........I really liked it. Dad's observation was that the set was less over the top so the acting was much more enjoyable. And of course there was a large cast. It occurred to me during the play that I never read Cinderella to you and [your brother]! Do you think that affected you? It also occurred to me that as a child, I was read the story, but never identified with Cinderella in the sense that I thought it was cool to maybe meet your Prince Charming some day. I wonder what that says about me.

Anyway.........probably working 'till 5 today.

Love, Mom

Also.........the pumpkin carriage was neat........kids could take photos in it after the play. Leave it to [the drama director of my high school, whom my mom calls by her first name]!!!!!

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

They must have been joking about the Mammy thing.