Sunday, February 22, 2009

Saw "Madea Goes to Jail" Yesterday.

So, yesterday I went with a friend to go see "Madea Goes to Jail". My friend drives, so we went down to far cinema down in the ghetto, to make it a cultural experience. The theater complex is just off the highway amidst a huge mall-type area with a ton of box store and mini-malls, but if you go a few blocks you're in the middle of row houses, so there was a lot of poorer black people either rolling into the place in run-down cars, and some walking in from the overpass by the highway.

The theater complex, by the way, is run by a company called "Inner City Entertainment", and that name is on the building in big letters, and they flash it on the screen before the movie starts.

We got there like ten minutes before the show started - the movie was playing on multiple screens like once every half-hour to forty-five minutes - so my friend dropped me off to wait in line while she went to go park the car, but as soon as I got in line - I was the only non-black person in the entire place, as far as I could see - people up ahead of me were talking about the 3pm show was sold out, and the first one you could get into was 4:30pm, so I asked the (black) woman ahead of me if that was true.

"Yeah," she was like, "There's nothing till 4:30," and then she added, very nicely, "You come a long way?"

My friend then got there, and we waited in line and got our tickets for the 4:30pm show, and then asked another (black) woman if there was anyplace good to wait and get something to eat before the show started, and she gave us directions to a Potbelly's.

My friend, though, was in the mood for pizza, so we went to this deep-dish pizza chain store in the mini-mall fronting the main road, and since you had to buy everything through a window, of course there was no restroom, so I had to hold my pee from drinking too much coffee earlier in the day. We did get deep-dish pizza, though, since the store basically had a pizza-heater and a freezer and they'd take out pre-made pizzas, unwrap them, and throw them in the heater so people could come buy a slice, mostly along with a can of pop in a package special, though when I looked at their selection in the little fridge on the counter, though they had a bunch of weird shit like RC cola and Welch's grape soda and even orange soda, there was absolutely nothing diet.

The cash register behind the window was around the corner out of the line of sight, too, and there was a sign up advertising deep-dish pizza now available with turkey sausage, "Healthy and Delicious"

Anyhow, when we got back to the theater complex, my friend went to go park the car and smoke up so the movie would be funnier, and I went inside to take a piss, and wait in the lobby with all the (black) patrons, including like two older women who looked like Madea herself.

When my friend got in, we went to go to the theater, only to find that they had people in these huge lines so they could let you in ten minutes till showtime, because the place did quick turn-over and didn't let the theaters sit empty between showtime. We were in like one line forever, and then it turns out when we got to the front that it was for theater 6, so we were sent to a different, newly-forming line, along with these enormous (black) women in front of us who had short, spiky, dyed up hair and black leather jackets and Applebottom jeans and were also going to theater 9, and they started complaining that it wasn't right to make people in the front of the line go to the back, and one of them said that the theater usher-kid wasn't doing his job, so she started calling out to everyone, "This line for theater 9" and shit like that, and then her friends started joking that they should start paying her.

The movie itself was good, like 2/3 of it was heavy drama and only 1/3 Madea, so no-one yelled at the screen too much. Interestingly, Madea isn't a church-goer and made a lot of fun of aspects of the black church, like its platitudes, WWJD bracelets, speaking in tongues ("Praise Jesus, shub-a-dub-a-dub-a-dub-a-dub!" she said at one point), etc., and then a lot of celebrities like Dr. Phil and Al Sharpton had cameos in the movie.

In any case, now I have street cred with some black people, I feel, like at the grocery store today, when after I asked the young (black) cashier how her weekend was and she asked me the same and I said I went to go see Madea, she thought that was great, and so did the young (black) bagger and the other young (black) cashier in the next aisle who I know better, and they were greatly amused when I said I loved how Madea just went off on people.

Anyhow, going to see "Madea Goes to Jail" was the highlight of my weekend. That night I got invited to a birthday part in the hipster part of town, and though it turns out that the party was in a storefront art-space with free booze and that one of the three people who the party was being held for was the 538.com kid (never met him), the people were both lame and stand-offish, and there was this screen where Twin Peaks was being projected while the DJ played (? - yet predictable), only the lame hipster kids would occasionally make shadow hand things in front of the camera, and the place was all white except for one Asian girl, one black guy, and two hispanics, one of whom was a professor who was hitting on me and felt very self-conscious when I was like, "How you doing, sir?", when he introduced himself to me and I used my usual "sir"/"ma'am" slang in informal social settings.

Earlier in the night, when I had a beer and nachos at this pricy hipster place that tried to look downscale - I was with the same friend I had gone to the movie with - I actually went off on the waiter, this dumpy white guy with greasy brown hair and tight jeans and a tight blue t-shirt over his little pot-belly; I didn't like him when I ordered a beer and he feigned being sorry and was like, "I am so sorry, but we just ran out of that ten minutes ago," but it was worse when I ordered the nachos and he was like, "Do you want the avocado with that?", and when I asked if it costed extra, he made an involuntary grimace and was like, "Yeah," and so very forcefully, I was like, "No," and when he turned away ashamed to walk away, I was like, "That was very deceptive," and he pretended not to hear me.

Hipsters love money so much, it disgusts me.

5 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Are you saying the waiter was a hipster too?

el blogador said...

Yes, and a dick.

el blogador said...

Yes, and a dick.

Anonymous said...

Allo à tous,

Voulez-vous gagner des prix facilement ?

Le site Bidou.ca est un un site super qui vous donne la possibilite de gagner de fantastique cadeaux sans investir beaucoup!

Venez participer sur: [url=http://bidoubidou.ca/]bidou.ca[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great read! You might want to follow up to this topic :)


electrical appliance insurance