Sunday, December 21, 2008

Addendum.

One of the books my one friend's mom showed me was this book by excommunicated Mormon heretic cum lesbian separatist Sonia Johnson, "Wildfire: Igniting the She/volution". It was written in the late 80s, and flipping through it with my one friend's sister we came across this chapter entitled something like "The AIDS Crisis: Men Making Their Problems More Important Than Women's Problems Once Again," where she argued that though AIDS was horrible, it was more a gay men's issue than a lesbians, and that you had all these grown men being matronized by everyone and though the situation was horrible, to infantilize their community was to cut short the necessary discussions and growth that could come out of it, and to postpone dealing with problems like domestic violence and discrimination against women once again.

"Wow," I was like, "She kind of has a point."

"I know, doesn't she!", my one friend's mom was like.

No comments: