Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ring / Concert.

Yesterday in the library, the quietness was interrupted by this white girl undergrad's cell phone, and the ringtone was the catchy sax line from Enur's "Calabria".

I went to go see Joan Baez in concert yesterday. She half-assed it, and has no stage presence, and the always-too-seriousness of her folk songs just drains the life from everything, there's no life at all, Judy Collins kicks her ass in that regard...

The difference between them is kind of like this -- Joan Baez had an Amnesty International table in the concert hall foyer, and Judy Collins did too, but Judy Collins also had three tables where you could buy boxwine in plastic cups.

I think my favorite part of the concert was two -

Waiting in the foyer for my friend while people streamed in, and half-reading Helen Keller's "My Religion" and kind of seeing people out of the corner of my eye looking suspiciously at me and my book, which had this mid-1960s cover with a big hot pink and white spiral while in black caps it said "HELEN KELLER" and "MY RELIGION".

Waiting in the foyer for my friend while people streamed in, and seeing this old short and fat white woman in a big puffy turquoise coat and dangly earrings going around with a "NEED 2 TICKETS" sign... I said there might be some left at the box office, I didn't think the concert sold out, and she was like, "Oh, I just do this sometimes, someone always has a ticket to give away."

No comments: