Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bananas / Vengeance.

The other week I was walking down the main avenue downtown jauntily eating a banana when a (black) older homeless guy shouted out at me as I was preparing to walk past him, "Hey, where's a banana for me?", and since I happened to have an extra banana as well as an orange in my bag, I stopped and told him that I had them, and asked him if he wanted them, and since he did, I gave them to him.

"Thank you," he was like, as he took the banana, then as he was placing them in his zip-up sack he had with him, he leaned in very teacherly-like and was like, "This here is full of potassium, it's good for you!"

On another note, I was thinking the other day about how morally corrupting New York financial culture is, and how at the end of the summer when I was there and I looked up a college acquaintance who now works for a hedge fund, he was blatantly saying he didn't think about the future, only about him and his family since we won't be here in 50 years anyhow, and when his chunky Asian wife dropped by, she was dripping with designer labels and condescension for the two seconds I talked with her, despite the fact that we were talking about the educational non-profit she worked for, which you think would have been the one topic that would have made me somehow respect her, but it didn't at all.

But, when they left the cute little cafe where we had met for coffee, they said they were walking home through their neighborhood by back streets, since they hated walking on the main street near them because of all the rowdiness, which was their euphemism for all the black transvestites and trannie-chasers there, who have been hanging out on that street for years despite the neighborhood's gentrification, so every time you walk by they proposition you or try to sell you drugs or are getting in fights that end up involving passers-by because they're all these cracked-out women out trying to prove which one is fiercer and are being all like, "Bitch, don't you be coming here no more."

Anyhow, when I explained that the acquaintance and his wife avoided them like all hell to my friend in that neighborhood I was staying with, she was like, "Of course they are, they're annoying as all hell, you wouldn't think they're cute if you woke up at 5am every weekend when they're out on the streets yelling at the top of their lungs," and then she mentioned that none of them are actually from NYC, they all come in every night from New Jersey to the transit station right there, so the neighborhood will never be rid of them. That made me so happy, to think of how all these rowdy black transvestites and their johns will always be ruining the douche-y financier designer cafe life of my acquaintance and his chunky Asian wife.

No comments: