Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dinner / The French / The Finns.

Last night we had a department dinner function in honor of a speaker who was in from out of town. The meal was enjoyable, except I had to get up several times to go to the bathroom to blow my nose, and once to take a massive shit which was brought on by the Subway meatball sub with extra hot peppers that I had had for lunch. The shit was explosive, and burning.

There's a French grad student in my department, and lately I've been greeting him with "Hola! Como estas?" He doesn't seem to enjoy it, and responds in French. I try to cajole him into speaking Spanish by telling him that Spanish is trashy fun, but he doesn't buy it, or at least buy it enough to want to respond in Spanish.

There's a Finnish grad student in my building, and I had loaned him an extra box fan I had had sitting around on the hot weekend when he first moved in, and I haven't really seen him till I ran into him in the entryway a few days ago. He was saying how he was stressed out from the workload at the university, and I commented that he was coping with the stress better than that one Finnish high school student who was in the news a week or two ago. He didn't respond too well, so I was like, "And he couldn't even commit suicide right, what kind of Finn is that?", to which he didn't respond too well either. Some nationalities are congenitally impaired when it comes to humor, it seems.

4 comments:

JUSIPER said...

But it put Finland on the map! We are all continually amazed that no one has ever punched you in the face. Saddly, I do enjoy hearing about it.

JUSIPER said...

French is definitely not trashy fun.

el blogador said...

The older I get, the more I appreciate languages where you can let it all hang out -- i.e, "donde el todo puede esser hangando."

JUSIPER said...

¡Es verdad!