Thursday, March 28, 2024

Two recent perspectives on professions:

1) A retired (low-level) administrator from higher ed who I tangentially know was saying on social media that she used to recommend to people to consider moving into higher ed positions like hers for a career, but she doesn't, anymore, because they're just not as dependable or well-paid as they used to be.

2) A colleague from my doctoral program who got into non-profit work was saying that remote work was good when she needed it, and it's a hair better than the $50K in-person jobs that are basically what you can get around where she and her husband live, but there's no mobility, and she's actually seeing the previous upper-level jobs that you had hoped to move into liquidated, and their duties redistributed downward to the lower-level jobs, with no increase in remuneration.

. . .

(I had been texting the latter that I crunched numbers from my first full year at my one restaurant job at the one [Thai] restaurant where I work now, and I'm making $19.50 an hour average, which would be equivalent to a $45K desk job if you assume 45 hour weeks for 49 weeks a year...  And who knows, that actually might be more this year, considering that I got moved into better shifts.)

No comments: