Monday, April 13, 2020

Coronavirus thankfulness, redux.

One thing that this coronavirus crisis has made me realize is that I'm like 10,000% thankful not to be in higher education right now.

If I was a shittily paid temp teacher, I'd have to rehaul all my classes for online, for like no pay, and to make them even more work than they'd normally be, all as I probably face enrollment cuts and cut classes in the near future, as there's a boatload of unemployed people and it's even harder to switch jobs than ever before.

And, tenured professors in a lot of places are suddenly facing big bump-ups in courseloads, even apart from the budget cuts that'll be coming up everywhere.

If you rewound my life so that I didn't face severe faculty bullying and so that somehow everything made me a little bit lucky above my talent and my pedigree and my preparation, I'd have graduated from my Ph.D. program somewhere around 2014, maybe gotten into a tenure track job somewhere a bit after that, which'd make me only be receiving tenure now, which'd make me be emerging into an even more decimated system and face being trapped in a horrific work environment due to likely general shittiness and almost non-existent job mobility, after years of like 70-80 hour weeks.

No thanks to that.

Where I'm at is not ideal, especially in terms of money, but it's a lot better than a good version of the path that I had been on.

No comments: