Thursday, April 18, 2019

Ethiopian beard advice.

For the heck of it, I'm experimenting with growing a short beard, and whenever I'm at the resthome, I ask residents and coworkers if they like it or not, is it too long or too short or just right in terms of length, for random other advice they might have, etc.

Anyhow, two of my (Ethiopian) coworkers like it, but they said to trim it with sharper edges, where it's a "V" down the sides of my jaw and an "O" around my mouth.

As soon as they said that, I could picture different Ethiopian men I'd met or seen in pictures or on TV as having that same beard, and I knew that they were culturally generalizing something that they found normal or thought was attractive in their culture.

I asked them if that would make me look Ethiopian, and if so, could I get discounts at restaurants.

They both chuckled at that.

I think they like me as a coworker.

No comments: