Saturday, October 6, 2018

I broke an egg on the way home from the supermarket.

The other week when I got home from the supermarket, I was unpacking one of my grocery bags and I realized that I had carried the eggs wrong, and one at the corner of the carton had gotten its side crushed in from pressing against my arm or my side or whatever as I had been carrying it.

That part of the carton was soaked, so I took out as many eggs as I could from that part of the carton, and I put them in the empty slots of a container of eggs that I had in the fridge that I wasn't done with yet.

Then, I carefully tore the cardboard carton halfway down, so that one half was dry with eggs in it, and the other half had the wet part that I was going to go throw out.

On top of all of this, the yolk and some of the white was left in the bottom part of the one broken egg, and I manged to boil that and eat it, so I even saved half the egg.

Basically, when I was boiling up some water to put some pasta in, I floated the bottom part of the egg on the top of the heating water, and it stayed there for a bit like a boat and then water got in it and the egg sunk, but the yolk and the white stayed inside it and they congealed and cooked up instead of getting all stringy in the bubbles and currents of the boiling water, and that little bottom part formed like a little teacup bowl with a bit of egg in it, that I could get at by peeling the sides of the egg away.

I wouldn't normally do that with a broken egg, but it wasn't like that when I left the store, so I knew that the egg wasn't spoiled or anything, and I wouldn't get sick from eating it.

No comments: