Tuesday, July 17, 2018

On graduation (1 of 2): Extra-academic perceptions.

Last month was when I should have walked for my doctorate, but I had too much self-respect to do that.

Like someone I know from my program told me, "What are we supposed to do, look happy and pretend that they did their jobs?".

(It's interesting; my one [half British] [half Sudanese] friend also told me a while ago that he decided years ago not to walk when he graduates, and that he's surprised that so many people do, given the widespread discontent at the university.)

My parents were disappointed that I didn't walk, but they reconciled themselves, since I told them this years ago.

I did mention it to them the day after, though, and my mom said she was disappointed, since she wanted to see me walk, and she also said that she wished that I hadn't even bothered to tell her when it was that I should have been walking.

"But Mom," I was like, "They have this part where you kneel and the adviser pulls up the hood over your head, there's no way I can do that."

At that, she paused.

"It sounds like a cult," she was like, finally.

No comments: