Saturday, December 2, 2017

Generosity by an Iraqi woman.

The other week, I was far away in a different part of the city than I usually am, and since there's a lot of (middle easterners) in the neighborhood, I stopped to have kebabs, and then popped into an ethnic food shop to browse.

After I picked out some fig jam as a gift for my one (half Sudanese) (half British) friend (the brother of the sister pair; the brother has a sweet tooth), for the next time he has me over for dinner, I noticed that one vegetable jar in the half-off section had a loose cap, so I took that up to the (young middle-aged) (middle eastern) counterwoman.

She thanked me a lot, and then when I asked her about brands of fig jam, she recommended that I go with another one, since the kind I got was too thick and it was just too sweet.

So, she took me back over into the aisle I had been in and showed me the better brand, and then she said that it went really well with this cream, which interested me, though I said that I wouldn't be buying it since my friend is vegan and the jam was for him.

First, she said, "Nice gift!".

Then, she said, "Here, try some cream," and went to the refrigerator to pull some out.

"Oh no, you don't have to do that!", I was like.

"No, please," she was like.  "I need some for home, I'll open it here, you can try some."

It was like a cream cheese, but less sweet and a bit richer.

"Thanks a lot!", I was like.

"Isn't it good?", she was like.  "It's great with the jam."

As I checked out, then, we introduced ourselves.

She's originally from Iraq.


No comments: