Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The state of work nowadays.

The other week when I was at a new bar, a lounge in a new theater complex, I ended up talking with the (white) (male) bartender and one of his (white) (male) friends who was sitting there, with a (white) woman he was dating.

Both of the guys had done MFA degrees and were saying that even despite that, it was hard to find steady work, and the one friend said that he's from Wisconsin, and older generations he knows just don't get it, and even if they recognize the problem, from stuff they say you can tell they really just don't get how it actually plays out on the ground-level, since they've never lived it.

"Like when my one part-time job gave me 3 hours instead of 10, my mom said I should have looked out for signals more that they were undependable, so I wouldn't make that same mistake in the future," I was like.  "But, that's assuming that I have a selection of jobs, and that part-time job and another one was the best I could come up with, after a year of applying for jobs."

"Yeah, like that," he was like, and he grimaced.

The bartender said that he's originally from Florida, and a friend of his has a good tech system degree, and couldn't find work in Florida, so he moved to our city.

"It's been two to three months, and still no job," he was like.  "And he has a good field and a good degree."

I didn't say anything, but that got me thinking that people have told me to move to find work, but that means you go to a new place where you have no social networks, so it's not like that's better.

Our economy is so fucked right now.

No comments: