Monday, September 25, 2017

Bike swarm.

Last month, I was biking downtown through the city's Chinatown, and I biked around (two) (tween) (Asian-American) girls on bicycles just before getting to that neighborhood, and neither had helmets on, and one had headphones on and was lacksadaisical, though it was a very busy street.

One then biked around me when I slowed down a street ahead, and then as I biked up, she turned right beneath a viaduct, and for some reason I looked back and all of a sudden I did a double-take, since there was like ten or twelve (tween) (Asian-American) kids, all on bikes and none with helmets, all turning in the same direction, including the other little girl of the first two that I had seen.

I then biked up like four or five more blocks, and I was at this crazy intersection where you have to wait a long while at the light, and there's a set aside bike lane but it's not completely blocked off from traffic and it's tough with parking and driveways in the busiest section of the city's Chinatown, and as the light turned, I started pedalling, and all of a sudden from the right off a side street there comes the entire swarm of bike kids, and they're ahead of me two and three and four deep and bleeding into the busy street, lazily but steadily pedalling along and weaving in and out and here and there roughly in the bike lane, but now and again outside of it a bit, as cars sped by.

I was mesmerized, but also worried for their safety.

Fortunately, many of them stopped off soon after, but still, they could have been killed by a stray car.

Where are their parents?  Do they know that they do this?

No comments: