Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Interesting way to connect to people:

For my city’s adult summer reading program, the game they set up forces you to broaden your reading, including to a childhood favorite that you re-read.

So, I selected a Roald Dahl book that I remember very much loving as a kid but I don’t remember much about apart from a few plot details and the fact that it was the first book that I ever owned in hard cover.

One night, I was out reading it at a bar, and a (younger) (white) (female) real estate agent with a big floppy hat called out to me, and she said that it was the cutest thing ever that I was reading that book.


This one (Italian) guy I know was also at the bar, and he said that that Roald Dahl book was the first book he ever read in English, back in Italy when he was a teenager, and he mused that it’s probably better and more complicated than a lot of books for adults.

No comments: