Thursday, August 13, 2015

Crazy Ph.D. student debt: $200,000?!??!?!

This one (white) guy I know from the beach is a late-stage graduate student from a West Coast program, and he moved back to the city since he lived here a long time ago, and now works as a bartender while he's finishing his dissertation.

Somehow the topic of student debt got broached, and he was like, "I figure, if I owe you $200, that's my problem, but if I owe you $200,000, that's your problem" (i.e. if you give out $ that'll never be paid off in full, that's stupid of you).

I'm really not sure if he picked those #s out of his ass, or if he really owed that much.

Part of me almost thinks that he really owes $200,000 for his Ph.D.

He was saying that the city he lived in was expensive, and a 2BR was $1400 a month, and that if you didn't get a TAship you were effed.

The way he doesn't realize how interest payments can eventually cost more than the capital also makes me think he might not be the best with money.

What a f*ck*d situation.

No comments: