Sunday, June 21, 2015

Homemade Sauerkraut!

I've begun making homemade sauerkraut again.

The latest trick, to keep oxygen from reaching any cabbage that floats to the surface of the brine (= a spoilage causer), is to pour an inch of olive oil over the brine-cabbage mixture, since that "seals off" the brine and cabbage underneath.

That seemed to work for a day, but then I woke up one morning and a bunch of cabbage was up in the oil layer...

I think C02 had built up towards the bottom, and a big burp forced cabbage upwards.

At a kitchen goods store, I've begun checking out widemouthed 4 liter jars, since that necksize will allow for insertion of a weight to keep the cabbage pressed down.

I really do love homemade sauerkraut.

At the advice of a Romanian colleague, I cut up corn kernels and dill into the cabbage, and the flavor is astounding.

After I nail down this process, I may even try homemade fermented pickles.

No comments: