Sunday, May 10, 2015

Making a Pole laugh.

The other week heading out of the gym on campus one night I ran into my one Asian-Canadian friend and a Polish post-doc colleague of his who I've met a few times before.

It turns out that they were going to a bar to bitch about lab, my friend said, though he added that his Polish colleague "had a good week in lab and a lot of success."

"That's great," I was like, "It will only make your inevitable failure more bitter."

At that, his Polish colleague laughed and was like, "I like the way you think."

"Seriously," I was like, "Laugh now, please.  This may be some of the last happiness that you have."

. . .

After I left, I realized that I should have made a joke that some people say I inherited Polish cynicism, but I call it "realism".

No comments: