Monday, April 13, 2015

Disturbing campaign experience, even more disturbing in retrospect:

The first afternoon I was out canvassing for Chuy over Rahm, I had a real conversation about money and class and poverty and control of the political system by the wealthy with a (very old) (very dark) (black) man in his bungalow in a once middle-class neighborhood, and though the guy didn't come off religious at all and I still don't think he was - which makes everything worse! - right at the end of the conversation, right after I had just thought it finished, he was like, "We live in dark times."

That got me.

He had a pale yellow porkpie hat on, and a cardigan and shirt and slacks in a variety of earthtones, and the bushes in front of his bungalow were very neatly trimmed.

He was also clean shaven, and spoke at a measured pace.

No comments: