Friday, October 24, 2014

I need to detach from material possessions!: Whiskey, nice-looking polyester slacks.

When I was in the lobby having a beer before the BDSMer wedding as my friend was getting his ushering duties straight, my one hippie friend from Michigan texted me from my apartment saying that she was hanging out with my roommate and that she hoped it was okay that she was drinking my whiskey, which she had found under the sink.

I texted back that that was fine – she’s had some before when we’ve done crosswords together at my place – and I joked that it went well with the leftover Hamburger Helper in the fridge (=stuff of my roommate’s).

Anyways, the next morning, I go to get some cleaning stuff out from under the sink, and the entire bottle of whiskey is *gone*.  Then, when I texted my one hippie friend from Michigan, she apologized profusely and said she honestly didn’t know what happened to it, and she said she’d get me some more since she accidentally went on a bender the previous night.

I was a bit ticked since I got that liquor for a third of retail price thanks to a fire sale at the art school (they changed caterers and had to sell off their old stock for rock-bottom prices!), but what can you do, and I said a couple of cheap bottles of wine would be fine since it'd cost her more than I spent if she went to replace the whiskey.

There was probably $20 worth of booze left in the bottle, and that’d be equivalent, I thought; I wouldn’t want my to make my friend pay $60 for a new bottle when what she drank didn’t cost me nearly that much.

Also, I had been upset at the wedding since right before I got out the door I accidentally burned a line on the right knee of my nice-looking polyester slacks, since I accidentally had the iron on too hot.

The recommended solution of vinegar didn’t work, though I’m trying sandpaper now and that seems to do the trick since the fabric underneath the glossy part is intact, you just need to get the burned glossy part off.

In any case, I should be less attached to material possessions and not care if anything happens to them, which is irrational.


It’s like, do I really expect a piece of cloth to last forever?

No comments: