Thursday, July 3, 2014

People's response to my barhopping.

The other Thursday I was barhopping down in the far southeast part of the city - to get to the first bar, I had to bike like over an hour and fifteen minutes! - and I managed to make it to 5 bars in a leisurely barcrawl before heading home.

A block-and-a-half from my house, I was biking past a local divebar, and who do I see through the open door but my one (white) colleague from Mississippi, who was standing with his back to the door but was recognizable because of his distinctive country-style hat that he wears sometimes when he's out-and-about.

So, I popped in to say hi, and he was there with like 4 people I know, including a very drunk Ph.D. student who had been imbibing since he had started watching the World Cup 11am game over 12 hours earlier.

When people asked me where I was coming from and I mentioned that I had been barhopping, he was like, "You're still doing that?!", since he knew I had mentioned like 2 years ago that I was trying to go to every bar in the city, but he had never given it a thought since, it seems.

Later, when me and some people went to the taqueria across the street and that guy headed off home in a cab, I was sitting in the booth sharing chips and salsa with everyone when I got a text from him -

You are a hero.

. . .

No comments: