Thursday, May 22, 2014

Volunteering (1 of 2): Flashback.

A few weekends I volunteered a conference on local youth homelessness, since I feel strongly that the issue should be addressed more than it currently is.

The volunteer coordinator was this kind (middle-aged) (black) lesbian, and after lunch hour as we were breaking down tables in the cafeteria in the university building where the conference was held, I was like, “Now this is a flashback, I haven’t done this shit since I was in Catholic school.”

Then, I added, “You see, I really am a nice Catholic boy at heart.”

Then, at the end of the day, after me and everyone was cleaning out rooms and re-arranging chairs and taking things out to cars, I started saying bye to everyone, but a few people broke off to go take care of one more thing that they had forgotten about.

“Have a good night!”, I yelled down the hallway after them.

They didn’t hear, though, so I yelled out “Have a good night!” down the hallway one more time, but they still didn’t hear.

“Well,” I was like, to the remaining people, “At least you guys can testify that I wasn’t being rude.”


“Of course not!”, the (middle-aged) (black) lesbian was like.  “You’re a good Catholic boy!”

No comments: