Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Two townies talking next to me at a bar...

So the other week I was in the hipster-ish bar near my house having a drink and reading a novel for the writing class that I'm teaching, when 2 younger (white) guys came in and sat at some stools just down to me to my right, and both turned out to be townies from the neighborhood.

As it turns out, everyone had moved away. 

As one said, "Yeah, [some guy's name]'s in Thailand for some spiritual bullshit or something."

Also, they were both EMTs, and swapped some stories.

The one guy talked about how he hadn't seen his grandmother in ten years "because she got hijacked by my aunt," then he got a call to go down to a hospital out in the southwest part of the city out by the airport, and while his partner's filling out some paperwork, he realizes that the patient in the room is his grandmother, "She was in there, sick with Alzheimer's."

"What do you mean 'sick with Alzheimer's'?", the other guy was like.  "It's not like you die from that shit, it's not an embolism."

"Whatever," the guy was like, "That's why she was in there.  And she remembered me, even after all those years."

Later they talked about unsuccessful dates, like how the other guy had had a date with a chick "who looks like a model and just wants a guy to beat her up."

At that, the first guy laughed, "So did you try it?", and he raised a fist and did a darting overhand punch motion, as if towards a woman's face.

No comments: