Thursday, January 16, 2014

Modernist Chilean epic.



For the last book of the term, the instructor under whom I teach writing chose to have the class read this Modernist Chilean epic from the early 20th c., about a parachutist who falls through the sky and dissolves into pure sound, over the space of 7 cantos.

The 1st day the book was discussed, this one very bubbly (blonde) freshman who’s from NYC and had a publishing internship in high school and always talks about her own personal reactions to everything, raised her hand at the beginning of class well before any discussion had started.

“I just want to say,” she was like, “My boyfriend had mopping duty at the frat, and I began to read this there, and all the guys were playing XBox and popping brewskis, and I just sat on a couch in the corner, and I just cried and cried and cried.  I love this book, it’s so beautiful.”

“Really?”, the instructor was like, touched.

“Yeah,” the one (blonde) freshman was like, “I just sat there curled up on the couch, and I couldn’t stop crying, tears just streamed down my face, page after page after page.  I love this book”

At that, the instructor paused, and swallowed.

“Now you’re going to make me cry,” she was like.

No comments: