Thursday, January 2, 2014

Latin tweets.



The other month, I met to read some of Caesar’s Gallic Wars and sightread some of Pope Francis’s Latin tweets with my one very good Latin student, who’s taking time off from regular lessons in order to study for career certification exams.

Many of the Pope’s tweets were profoundly moving, especially the ones about never having war again, and how he extremely deplores the use of chemical weapons.

Who else can send such genuine bursts of truth with such simplicity and authority?

I really didn’t want to stop reading the tweets and our lesson went 20 minutes over, which I justified by saying the extra time was in return for him buying me my beer and whiskey, but even then I wanted to keep reading, and so I stayed at the bar and had another beer and whiskey and kept reading the Pope’s Latin tweets.

No comments: