Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Trayvon rally.



The other month I went to the Trayvon rally downtown, which I guess was 1 of over a 100 rallies nationwide.

I missed the first two-thirds of the rally, but there were still a ton of (black) people (mostly) when I arrived.

In a break between speakers, this (black) woman who I was standing next to turned to me and was like, “Thank you so much for coming.”

After the end of the rally, I spoke with a couple (black) teachers union people who were there in union t-shirts and was asking them about some other protest that their union was putting on that I had gotten an email about.

They hadn’t heard of it, and so we started talking about this and that and eventually about Trayvon.

“I’m pissed,” I was like.  “I can’t believe this shit is happening.  Actually, I can believe it, but I don’t want it to be happening.” 

They totally agreed, and when I said it’s too bad that people weren’t out in the streets more so they could get more attention, adding “though not for breaking windows and shit, though maybe,” the one (black) woman was like, “A lot of people feel like breaking stuff right now,” but said to do that just made (black) people look bad.

“And how about handing bricks to the white guy who’s pissed?”, I was like, and the women both laughed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're such a charmer.