Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dutch Women who Sleep with Priests (3 of 7): More Story of a Monastic.



From Tineke Ferwerda’s “Sister Philothea: Relationships between Women and Roman Catholic Priests” (1989; translated 1993) (p. 137; paragraph breaks added for clarity):


I was proud of aspiring to an authentic monastic community.  Of being friendly with the superior, who had my special affection, as he was my father and mother at the same time.  He always kissed me on my mouth.  I didn’t like these wet kisses and kept my mouth shut.  He was always disconcertingly fond of me, really like the brother on watch..., though, small as I then was, I found something strange about this brother.  That certainly wasn’t the case with this prior.  I trusted him completely. 



Once in the very first year he asked me whether I knew where children came from.  I knew that and could tell him in detail.  And I could tell a good story, though my story was far from complete.  Especially the role of the father was not yet completely clear to me.  He filled in the missing details in such a natural and disarming way that none of this seemed particularly strange to me. 



Later I told him when I had had my first “wet dream” and had thus become a man, something that we both celebrated with a glass of sherry. 



I also talked to him about my sin of unchastity with a girl.  He then looked very serious and concerned and wanted to know all the details.  I told him that at home at my suggestion I had once watched a girl-friend from next-door making a puddle before my amazed eyes and I had looked at her in an extremely interested way.  He burst out laughing, slapped me on the shoulder, and said disarmingly, “But that’s not unchastity, boy!  Our dear Lord made girls and boys that way.” 



When I asked him what unchastity really was he gave me vivid examples of it: rape and incest, no more.

. . .

No comments: