Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Graphics Editing a Coded Manuscript.


So since I found out last year about this one never-uncoded manuscript in an unknown script from the mid-15th c., I’ve been dying to get print-outs of it somehow, so I can start treating it like a puzzle and see if I can figure it out, since I already like puzzles and already do them in my spare time, and since I already know Latin, the primary suspect language (or at least one of the primary ones; Hebrew and maybe Greek would be the others).

Anyhow, a friend had somehow found a pdf file of the entire manuscript online, and sent it to me in 3 chunks.

At first, and this was like this fall or winter, I tried hiring the (female) (African-American) graphics artist who has done work for my one lawyer friend from Missouri.

She came highly recommended and a few people who I know had jobs done by her were satisfied, but I gave her 2 jobs, and on the 1st one she didn’t follow instructions and then tacked on 30min. of time in order to correct the mistakes she made (!), and then on the 2nd one (the manuscript), she didn’t follow the page range, pages she split were out of order, and there was other stuff too, but I didn’t feel like getting her to correct that, since she had been dishonest with me about the other corrections.

So, I told her I wasn’t paying for the 2nd order, since I’d start all over myself, and she wasn’t happy...

In fact, one time, getting on the subway, I passed her as she was getting off, and she didn’t see me (purposefully?).

I haven’t run into her since.

Anyhow, the other week, I decided to start editing the pdf file from scratch while I have the resources of the art school available, and so I went in to the art school’s printing office and got set up on a computer near there and kindly asked the student workers if they could help me by showing me what to do, and I’d do everything they told me like a monkey, and then eventually submit the file as a print job that their office would take care of.

The one student, this Asian-American 18 or 19y.o. with a dyed blonde hair, was very kind and helped set me up on the right programs to split the images, crop them, and increase contrast.

At first, too, when I explained to her what the project was, and how I wanted a file to doodle on while I read a 15th c. Latin astronomical text to compare and look for patterns in the unknown script, she kind of got quiet.

Then, she was like, “Wow, you’re like Dan Brown.”

No comments: