Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Eating Habits: Fruit.


For my budget, I have a “dollar a pound” rule, where I try to buy no produce that costs over a dollar a pound.

For fruit for snacks for the week, then, I usually have apples, oranges, and bananas, since they regularly cost under a dollar a pound.

Lately, too, there’s been very good sales on grapes, and even though you have to pick through them since they’re on the verge of being over-ripe, it’s still worth it, since you can find some good bags.

Whenever I eat a banana or orange or grapes lately, though, I keep thinking about all the oil that had to be burned to get that puppy into the northern climes, just so I could eat it, and I start thinking about how f*cked up the world is getting because of global warming.

How is it that bananas are even cheaper per pound than apples that are grown a few states away?

That’s so f*cked up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Banana plantations are productive year round, or at least the distribution channel is broad enough that the various zones are all integrated so that the supply is constant year round.

Apples are seasonal, and whenever there are peaks and valleys in supply the price is pretty close to impossible to flatten. Further the competition for alternative uses of the land that apple orchards occupy is much higher than the alternatives for plantations. Temperature regions can be used for a huge range of crops...