Monday, May 20, 2013

A Bar the Next Day.


The next afternoon I had a one day conference at a campus just south of downtown that I biked to, and then since it was a weekend and a nice day, I took a long bikeride on major streets through the (poor black) neighborhood west of downtown, to get a sense of what bars were there, and maybe stop through some if it seemed safe.

On this one major street, there was exactly *one* bar, on all the miles of road all the way to city limits.

(That’s true for a lot of [black] neighborhoods; they’re just liquor stores, all the bars were owned by older people who closed them up because of the bullshit, or are just hanging on for their few friends who still go there, but the gangbangers aren’t let in.)

Anyway, this one bar was a cinder block bar south of some overheard train tracks and across from an industrial yard full of stacked pallets, and the bar turned out to be Mexican (!).  As the (Mexican-American) bartender (“Crystal”) said, it was on the edge of city limits and drew from the (Mexican) population beyond that, though occasionally a few (black) people came in, usually 2-3 at a time, and were quiet and just stayed for one beer and left.

“I say I work here,” she was like, “And people say, ‘You work there?’, and I’m like, ‘No, it’s not like that!’”.

As I sat and drank like 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon, this one older (Mexican) guy who had been drinking heavily with his friend down at the other end of the bar sent down a beer to me, which I interpreted as a gesture of hospitality since I was obviously new to the bar.

“Gracias por la cerveza” (“Thanks for the beer”) I called out amicably to him, and at that he gravely nodded and gave me a thumbs up, which I interpreted he did because of my use of Spanish.

Overall, I find that Mexicans are esp. gracious and appreciative when you try to speak even a little bit of Spanish; I think it might be because so many of them are monolingual or just speak a little bit of English, and they not only empathize with the attempt to learn another language, but appreciate the effort, since I don’t have to do that, since I could only use English if I wanted to.  They get that.

No comments: