Thursday, March 21, 2013

Life among the Hasidic Jews of Williamsburg (3 of 4): The Week or So After the Wedding.


From Deborah Feldman’s Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots (2012; p. 172):

The days after the wedding, which should be the happiest of my life, become consumed by the effort to consummate my marriage.  But as each effort results in failure, [my husband] Eli becomes more and more anxious, and as a result, his family exerts more and more pressure on us to be finished with it.  By the third try, Eli can no longer muster any eagerness from his own body, and I cannot submit to something that isn’t there...

In yeshiva, Eli says, the boys would jerk each other off.  Because there were only men around and no girls, the sight of a boy could get him aroused.  After many years, he explains with a sigh, to switch suddenly is weird.  “I don’t even know if I should be attracted to you.  I didn’t even have an idea of what a girl looked like before I saw you.”

I’m suddenly horribly self-conscious.  I took for granted that he would be excited at the mere glimpse of me.  But now I see my body through his eyes – foreign, mysterious, and confusing.

. . .

No comments: