Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pleasant memory of a winter evening: A bar.

Before I left for the holidays, I was sticking around the neighborhood where school is to kill time and meet up with my Michigan hippie friend after she got off work at 10pm, and so I decided to go to a few bars, though I was a bit out of it since I had had a long day of work and then a very intense workout at the gym.

So, when I was at the bar in a Mexican restaurant that was mostly empty except for a few tables, I was flipping through some free newspapers, and then I began to look out the window, because it was beginning to snow in great big sheets almost going horizontal.

"Are you okay?", a(n older) (Mexican) waiter said, which made me start.

"Oh yeah!", I said, "Just killing time, I was looking at the snow."

"Okay," he was like, "You looked upset," and at that the (young) (Mexican-American) delivery guy nodded.

I then explained why I was tired and out of it etc., and we all started chit-chatting, and the entire time  I couldn't get over just how nice of them that was, to reach out like that to someone they thought was upset.

No comments: