Friday, April 27, 2012

Latin Fun.

Lately, in addition of texting the lawyer who's learning Latin to remind him to study (which he pays me to do), I've been texting sentences I make up using an unfamiliar grammatical construction that we encountered in our previous lesson, to help him become more familiar in it.

For example, I had sent him a sentence variation on a phrase from the Early Modern commentary on the part in Thomas Aquinas we're reading -

Papa est habens curam totius ecclesiae Christianae.

("The pope is the one who has care of the whole Christian Church.")

Then, after the texted back the translation, I sent him a similar phrase -

Discipulus est explicans sententias magistri.

("A student is one who explains the sentences of a teacher.")

Then, finally, later that same day, I also sent him -

Philosophus est proponens quaestiones vanas.
("A philosopher is one who puts forth vain questions.")

He really liked that last one.

No comments: