Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Unfortunate food waste.

I had been so busy with Hebrew, I might have have left a pot of bean soup in the fridge for up to 3 weeks (though I think it maybe have been 2).


It was three-quarters gone – there was just maybe about 3 inches of soup left in the bottom of the big soup pot – when I opened the fridge on a Sunday afternoon, only to smell something funky.


I opened the soup pot, and there was a layer of small clearish gray scum here and there on the top, and a bit of bubbles in it like it was fermenting.


Since there was so many kidney and pinto beans in the soup, I decided to dump it in the toilet, and when I flushed, everything went fine at first, but then the toilet started backing up, and I had to run into the kitchen for a saucepan to start bailing, before the rotten soup and toilet water backed up onto the floor.


Fortunately, though, the toilet stopped backing up like less than an eighth of an inch from the top, so then I was left to reach in there deep with my bare hand and arm, into the tannish-brown mix with cilantro leaves floating here and there on top, and grab handfuls of beans from way in the back where the toilet water goes down, and put them in a a plastic grocery store bag put in another plastic grocery store bag, so no nastiness would drip on the tile.


Fortunately, the soup didn’t smell that funky, since it was diluted by all the toilet water.


Eventually, the water started draining, so I swirled around the water toward the back with my hand, until it really started going down, and then I waited, and flushed, and everything went down except a single chopped leaf of cilantro, which stood there like a rebuke to me for my wastefulness of food.


That whole thing made me 45 minutes late for a martini lounge patio get-together held by my one friend who delivers singing telegrams, but I had to do what I had to do, and people appreciated hearing the story.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1 rule - do not flush anything down your toilet but shit, piss and vomit.

el blogador said...

then what do I do with the bean soup!?!?!??! I figure beans are easier to flush than some types of shit.

Anonymous said...

not to shock you but put it in a plastic bag and throw it away. or you could find someone with a compost pile and toss it in.

el blogador said...

But this was like 70% thin broth, 30% beans.

Should I have poured the thin broth into the toilet, and then put the beans in a plastic bag?

Anonymous said...

There was another alternative but it would have required you to think ahead. When you made the soup, think about what you will realistically eat in a week. If it seems like you can't eat it all, put it in smaller containers and freeze it. You can thaw it out at a later date and have bean soup that you didn't have to make that week.

Anonymous said...

yes, pour off the liquid and toss the beans in the trash

el blogador said...

Vegetable soups last like 2 weeks or more, so I don't really run into this problem.