Saturday, April 23, 2011

Back at the (black) neighborhood bar!!!

The other week or so when I was in my old neighborhood for a function, I stopped through beforehand to the (black) neighborhood bar for a drink, to get it on my bar list (I started from scratch with the bars; it was like #41, I believe).

I ran into an older (black) woman I know, who was there with this other regular, this older baldheaded (black) (gay) guy who was eating a burrito, since the restaurant next door the kitchen of which you can order from through a hole in the wall had started serving tacos and burritos in addition to just pizza.

So, I asked him how the burrito was.

"Not bad for barfood," he was like.

When I asked him how the quality of meat was, if it was out of the freezer or what, he said he didn't think so, but that the chicken was underseasoned, which you didn't notice in the soup, but you did notice in the tacos.

I also talked a while with the older (black) woman. It turns out she golfs, and had actually been through my hometown years ago golfing, sometime in the late '80s. I asked her if she had been through the bar on Main Street that my parents owned, and she was like, "I can't remember," and when I asked her if it was because it was so long ago, she was like, "No, I might have been, I just was drinking a little too much back then, and can't remember!"

Charles Earland's "More Today than Yesterday" was on the jukebox, and we grooved to that some and talked to music.

She also has been reading a biography of Voltaire that she can't put down.

"People say he's an atheist or he's an atheist," she was like, "But all these atheists, they believe in more than most people, it's just not the Christianity they know."

No comments: