Friday, July 9, 2010

Misc.

1) The other day I took a long bikeride, and when I was paused at the top of this hill near an intersection to look at my bikemap, this (black) family biked up, and they asked me if I needed directions... The early 40s (black) mom had a tight pink t-shirt on that said -

I DON'T WANT TO BE A PRINCESS, I WANT TO BE A VAMPIRE

- and the word "Princess" was in a girly font, and "Vampire" in a bad-ass one.

2) When I was walking back from fireworks on the 4th, some late 50s/early 60s (white) women from Wisconsin were walking slowly ahead of me, and I was going to pass them in front of this hip young bar that was flooded post-fireworks, the one asked the other what that place was, and the other is like, "Oh, I've heard of it, that's the place that the kids go now," which instantly downgraded the entire place full of self-satisfied moneyed professionals to a stage of life which the old people can categorize and think is quaint.... That comment made Milwaukee feel very much like a small town, where stages of life are socially regulated.

No comments: