Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Waste, deplorable waste.

I've had a complex about clearing out my fridge and unplugging it over long absences from my apartment ever since my one (former) neighbor who I used to volunteer with for the Obama campaign down in Indiana told me that she did that, because it was good for the earth.

So, I carefully measure my groceries, and on the evening before I left I ate the last of the jar of a tahini that was in the fridge with my dinner, and the morning I left I ate half of a small jar of gourmet stone-ground mustard so I wouldn't have to throw it out.

Though, I still threw out -

- 2 frozen sticks of chorizo (the 1st stick was iffy anyhow from the pack, I shouldn't have bought so much).
- some frozen ginger in a bag in my fridge (ginger stays forever that way, it was leftover from ginger-honey tea I make in the winter when I have a cold).
- 2 sticks of butter (though I had toast with a ton of butter at breakfast to use as much as I could).
- some leftover bean soup that was spoiling (though I was able to eat a bowl-and-a-half of it a few days earlier when it was on the edge of spoiling, I am glad to say).

I feel so guilty about the waste. I put my coffee can full of ground coffee and my packet of Greek coffee in the cupboard to use when I get back, though it loses its flavor that way, and I used 2 lemon slices by squeezing them and rubbing them in my hair on the day before I left and again the morning I left in the hopes that the citric acid would give me highlights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

after you put the lemon in your hair you need to sunbathe for the highlights to come out.

JUSIPER said...

Did you get the highlights?