Sunday, June 20, 2010

Milwaukee reflections.

Milwaukee is a great city. It is Midwest like where I live, but it is more northern Midwest, and people are friendlier, and much more open to fun, which reminds me of myself.

For example, when people here are asked to go for another drink, they're like, "Why not?", and they do it... I think to a large degree that captures my attitude towards life and fun.

One notable thing about bar culture here is how a lot of bars seem to have dice, and so if people are hanging around and bored, they ask the bartender to pull out dice, and they play this game where you have to count 6s and if you get a 1 you can roll again (someone explained it to me, I didn't get it), and the loser buys shots.

A lot of the time people play this with the bartenders, too... In where I live the bartenders only very rarely allow people to buy them shots, but here I see them doing them all the time.

And, people are friendly, but there's always this suspicion that underlies it... I don't know what to think of it.

And, the other night when I was at an all-night diner to get a bit to eat and it was flooded with (black) people - I had crossed the color line 2 or 3 blocks west of my apartment - the (white) waitress waited on me before some (black) people who were there before me... I was pretty shocked.

And, the (black) community here doesn't seem as vibrant as where I live.

Just some thoughts.... Also also, people have potbellies here, and you always see them eating cheese or fried foods and drinking beer.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

It's not really fair to compare it to where you live.