Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Got my hair cut.

I got my hair cut by Tennille yesterday.

It's been a while since I've seen her. Because of my schedule last semester, I got my hair cut once by the owner, and once at the Vidal Sassoon Academy downtown.

(They had a $10 student coupon; the haircut was good enough, but took three hours, and I had to watch the [white] [originally-from-south] teacher dress down the student, this older [white] woman who had been cutting hair for 40 years and was taking the course as a refresher and learn some new techniques... When the teacher recommended she buy some comb-razor combo gizmo for texturing hair, the student was like, "You know, my comb and a razor work just fine," and the teacher was all saccharine-sweet and was like, "Yes, but I'm speaking objectively.")

Anyhow, Tennille was telling me about how her brother ("Martel") and her sister-in-law just got back from a Paris vacation. She said they thought everyone was treated really well in France, and after I told her some stories about French racism from my one British friend, she did admit that they were always like, "Martel we know, it iz French, but ze last name, of what origin it iz?" (my accent, not hers), and that perhaps France is bad in some parts.

I also said maybe they were nice to him because they thought he was Obama, and she laughed and said that he is tall and lanky with close-cropped hair.

Also, she was talking about how (white) people get "sloppy drunk", but that doesn't seem to happen so much with (black) people, though one time she was at a club downtown they refused her (black) friend at the door because she was so drunk and she started yelling at the guard that it was her birthday (it was), and after she left they sobered her up and she got in, only to get drunk again and chew out the guards. Tennille ended up telling her that they all came out to have a good time and that she had already paid for parking, and to go pay for a cab all the way home because she wasn't going to drive her, so her friend did that.

Tennille was also saying that the club was high-class, but in the back they had these stripper poles and like jungle-gyms set up, and well-dress, beautiful (white) girls would be all sloppy drunk and dancing on them for their boyfriends, and that it was appalling.

"You should go there and see it," she was like. "It's something to see once if you live in [the city], it's just like in a movie."

No comments: