Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Section antics (2 of 3): A joke.

A few weeks ago in section we were discussing the story in Acts of Ananias and Sapphira, where they keep money from the church and both end up falling dead.

So, I told the story of how like 3-4 years ago when I was on an archaeology trip for my masters, me and this doctoral student kept bitching about how obnoxious everyone was taking pictures that they could one day use in lectures - it made sense to do that, but they were taking pictures of *everything* and weren't even taking time to consider what they saw, and oftentimes would even step in front of you and other tourists rudely!

Anyhow, when we were on this acropolis in Turkey with a really well-preserved Athena temple, the Turkish tour guide was sure to point out this steep cliff by the temple, and said to be careful taking pictures, since a few years ago this German tourist woman was taking a picture and backed up right off the cliff and fell and died.

At that, my doctoral student friend started giggling and nudging me and being like, "Punishment miracle, punishment miracle!".

At that, the kids in my section laughed.

No comments: