Monday, February 9, 2009

Kabbalah / Jobs / Homeless.

On Saturday it was a nice day and I was meeting a friend for drinks later that night, so I took the subway a couple stops up and took a book with me so I could walk and see a new part of the city and then find a coffee shop to read for a while before going to meet my friend. I ended up discovering where the city's Kabbalah center is, so I popped in, since they have a bookstore in front. No one was at the desk, and no one was coming out, and then all of a sudden this young white woman like my age got up from the couch over in the corner, and then I noticed there were two mats laid out on the floor and people covered in blankets napping there, and that the lights were dimmed, so I realized that I must have walked in on their naptime. The woman took me outside and said it was okay, I wasn't interrupting anything (though, she didn't let me browse the books), that they just left the door open so the kids could run in and out (what kids?), and she gave me a flier for a class downtown tonight that I should go to and learn what kabbalah is.

She also said that the biggest mistake is that people think it's a religion, when it's not, and that her boss got her hooked on it like five years ago.

She also asked me if I knew anything, and I said that Madonna and Britney were into it, and she clarified that Britney actually wasn't a devoted follower.

On another note, there were a lot of stores I saw on my walk that had just closed, and this was in the yuppie part of town where people have money coming out of their ass. In my neighborhood, at least, a few stores are closing too (including the only secondhand store, which you think would be doing well). Two people I know also both got laid off this past week.

On a related note, on Sunday when I was coming back from the grocery store a (black) guy outside the Boston Market asked me for money so he could go in and get some chicken, but I asked him if wanted some fruit instead, so I stopped and opened up my bags and gave him grapefruit and then tore off a couple bananas from the bunch to give him.

"Thanks, man," he was like, "You know these have a lot of potassium, right?"

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

It would be a whole lot cooler if Britney was a devoted follower.

That's nuts about the potassium.

el blogador said...

Third one in a row! I wonder if this is the results of government food-pyramid education of a certain time period.