Friday, August 22, 2008

A Coffee Can for You (50 of 63): Luzianne.

Oh do I have a story about this can:



First of all, it's white, and how often does that happen? It's like Nintendo cereal was the only cereal box ever sold that was black (black makes the product size look smaller, so marketers avoid that color).

Second of all, like last year when I was explaining to this Spanish guy I know about stereotypes of blacks in the U.S., I went to the website of the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia to show him a picture of Aunt Jemima, and I found out that way back when Luzianne used to have a mammy on the can.

Also, one of my friends from Florida says Luzianne is a big brand down in the south.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this coffee used to include a custom coffee measure cup since you use less of the coffee with chicory then when measuring out regular coffee